Two Leaves and a Bud Blog

Self-explanatory. #StuffTeaPeopleLike Self-explanatory.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

Does anyone remember that blog "Stuff White People Like"? It always made us laugh, self-stereotyping through gentle jabs. During a recent meeting, Marketing Coordinator Christy Garfield and I were brainstorming so hard that our ears were emitting smoke and we decided we needed a blog post that was our own variety of stereotyping our beloved tea lovers.

In fact, "tea" was No. 13 on that list of Stuff White People Like, which was discontinued in 2010. The description included this gem, "If you find yourself in a situation with a white person, acceptable things to say include, 'I'm really into tea right now,' or 'my favorite thing is to get a nice cup of tea and curl up in a chair with a good book.' But do not remind them about the role of colonialism in tea, it will make them sad."

Let's take it a bit further, shall we? We're not here to generalize but ... well, actually we are here to generalize, because that's what a stereotype is all about. We are well aware that tea fans come in all colors, shapes and sizes — just check out our own fans (that's you). You might be 70 percent women, we estimate, but you're also men who are relatively rabid about ordering our tea in 100-sachet packs and spreading the word about two leaves™ tea on Twitter. And we love you all.

So here goes; and while we fully expect you to laugh with us and disagree with us, we also hope you'll share your own items that Tea People Like in the comments, or on social media. Use #StuffTeaPeopleLike on Twitter, and maybe we'll start a revolution. (A very quiet revolution. We don't think tea people like noise.)

Stuff Tea People Like

Tea? Suddenly cool? Yes indeed. Thanks, Downton Abbey. #Stuffteapeoplelike

1. Tea? Suddenly cool? Yes indeed. Thanks, Downton Abbey. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

1. Downton Abbey

Seems like every time we post something regarding drinking tea and watching Downton Abbey, our Facebook Insights (the little graph that shows us how many people "liked" and commented on something we posted) goes through the roof. But quite frankly, we can't blame you — the show, while definitely a high-class soap opera, has made drinking tea cool again. And for that, we owe show creator Julian Fellowes a solid.

2. Rainy, miserable afternoons

4. You know you love this. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

4. You know you love this.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

3. Birds (mostly as a design motif)

4. Tea cozies, especially stylishly handmade cozies for tea cups

5. Photos of other people drinking tea, but not themselves

We can't tell you how much free tea we've tried to give away to our fans by asking them to take a picture of themselves drinking tea for our Facebook page, and yet almost no one enters contests like those. They'd much rather hit the "thumbs up" button on a photo of someone else drinking a cup of tea, or post a photo of one of our sachets in their favorite mugs. It's okay that you're shy. We think that's cute.

6. Free tea

On the other hand, anytime we hold a simple trivia question contest online, you all come out of the woodwork. Again, no one's blaming you. Free tea is fabulous, no?

7. Stationery and fountain pens

8. Electric tea kettles

Multitasking at its best. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

9. Multitasking at its best.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

9. Finding other uses for tea bags

De-puffing eyes, cleaning windows, composting, whatever.

10. Organic honey

11. Not being tan

Tannin, not tanning.

12. Used book stores

13. Sweaters

Bonus points for cardigans.

Tall, dark and dorky. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

14. Tall, dark and dorky.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

14. Bow ties

15. Indie films

16. Pinterest

Not long ago, we welcomed a new staff member, Chloé Burton, who is now our marketing associate. Chloé is the exact member of the Millennial Generation that we needed doing things like creating and managing our Pinterest page, and as soon as we connected Chloé's creative energy for Pinterest with Facebook, all bets were off. This girl posts one cute image of a beautifully drawn teapot she's found online with clever wording like, "Blood, sweat and tea", and 73 people hit the "like" button on Facebook, while 26 people share the image with their friends.

17. Anything infused with green tea.

Chocolate, vodka, jasmine rice, you name it.

16. Exactly. #stuffteapeoplelike

18. Exactly.
#stuffteapeoplelike

18. Yoga

19. Farmers Markets

20. Ballet flats

21. National Public Radio

22. Book clubs

23. Expressing interest in knitting but not necessarily doing so

24. Tea houses and tea rooms of any sort

25. Poetry contests

26. Sarcasm

Remind us to combine a poetry contest with some sarcasm sometime, would you?

27. Handmade mugs

28. Avant garde light fixtures

23. We promise this is not a staff photo. #stuffteapeoplelike

28. We promise this is not a staff photo.
#stuffteapeoplelike

29. Chacos

They're damn comfortable. And forget saving them just for river trips, tea people love them in chilly weather with ... socks. Tea People sometimes eschew fashion.

30. Any and all facts about how good tea is for you

31. Cocktails made with tea

31. Cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off, and scones

32. Vintage clothing, but not "Thrift Shopping" à la Macklemore

(We know some Tea People aren't going to get that, so we provide you with this link.)

The MAN. His tea. #stuffteapeoplelike

33. The man. His tea.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

33. Ordering Earl Grey like Captain Jean-Luc Picard did on Star Trek: Enterprise

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."  (Click on that to watch greatness in action.)

34. Loose tea and all its accoutrement — scales, filter baskets, small puddles of tea on your desk.

35. Instagram

36. Fancy socks

37. Hostess gifts

38. Blogging

39. Plush chairs

40. Umbrellas

41. Tom's of Maine toothpaste

You're welcome. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

42. You're welcome.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

42. Pictures of cute pets and teacups

(Preferably cute pets sitting in teacups)

43. Portland but not Seattle

44. Baking bread

45. Becoming a self-designated member of the grammar police

46. Real Simple magazine

47. Being asked, "How do you take your tea?"

As opposed to, "Whatdaya want in it?"

48. Etsy

Especially that mug with a drawing of Lionel Richie that says, "Hello ... is it tea you're looking for?"

This blogger's cabinet. I see I'm out of Assam. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

49. This blogger's cabinet.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

49. Having a designated tea cabinet/drawer that preferably overflowing — bonus points if it's primarily two leaves tea™

50. Audio books

51. Gardening

Especially while in floppy hats and if vintage teacups are used as planters.

52. The Breville One-Touch Tea Maker

Oh man, you've gotta watch the video here. (Don't watch it if you don't have $250 to spend on a high-tech tea maker. Do watch if you want to hear someone pronounce "aroma" like "aromer".)

This one's a bit of a mystery. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

53. This one's a bit of a mystery.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

53. James Franco

This one is hard to pin down. Is it because James Franco appears in so many weird, indie movies? Is it that he's a hard worker who appears in movies while teaching at NYU and scheduling a regular gig on a soap opera? We think he's just your type. Sometimes.

54. Drinking tea with weird names like Pu-ehr or Oolong.

You know you sound cool ordering up a Lapsang Souchong.

55. Gourmet chocolate

So wrong, but so right. #StuffTeaPeopleLike

56. So wrong, but so right.
#StuffTeaPeopleLike

56. Ironic fancy teacups

57. Cupcakes

58. Gently pointing out their own opinions

Tea People don't yell, do you?

Come on, commenters — what else ya got?

29 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Stuff Tea People Like”

• Kathleen S.

May 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm

59. A Room with a View or any book by E.M. Forster (and any movie of any book written by E.M. Forster)
    60. Devon cream and raspberry preserves in pretty glass containers served alongside those buttery, rich scones.
    61. Mismatched china plates, cups and saucers set on a table adorned with floral tablecloths with lace overlays.
    62. Browsing the booths at the antique mall searching for that special moo cow creamer or Blue Willow teapot.
    63. Trying to guess what stuff is worth on Antiques Roadshow using our advanced skills from all that antique mall browsing.
    64. Teaching our children the “proper” way to brew a pot of tea–then praising them when they get it right.
    65. Having that special tea set sitting front and center in the china cabinet–you know, the one that you only use when one of the kids has had a particularly bad day and needs some extra love.
    I could come up with so many more, but you guys did a great job with the first 58. This list is me to a “tea.”

• Jas Faulkner

May 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

You get us! Thank you!

• calendargirl

May 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm

So funny and so (mostly) true! Especially cardigan sweaters, overflowing tea drawer, fountain pens and NPR. I would add whistling Simplex tea kettles (emphatically not electric) and gas stoves; leather gloves with cashmere lining; novels by Elinor Lipman; dark chocolate bark studded with pistachios, candied ginger and dried apricots; Wish Me Luck (British TV series about female spies in WWII); chamber music, especially string quartets.

• Judith Wilson-Pates

May 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Add to #9: My dentist recommended a used tea bag to stop excess bleeding from my gums after cleaning/ scaling. It really works!

• Melanie

May 22, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Wow! I didn’t realize I was so transparent as a tea drinker. Things I like:
    Cats
    The beach in winter
    The Science Channel.

• ema

May 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm

we also love egg cozies because, after all, they’re just small tea cozies…. (oh, and we spell it properly – ‘cosies’)…. :)

• lisa

May 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

i feel like i don’t like about half of these. i’m a special snowflake!

• Jenn

May 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Calling your best friend on the phone and saying “Guess what? I like tea now.” She says “and ?” “I don’t know, I just thought I should tell you.” Now instead of meeting at the diner for coffee we’re meeting at some earthy downtown 15 seat restaurant not at noon but at a more distinguished time like say 2:15.

• Laurie B

May 22, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I am a tea drinker. I drink copious amounts of tea.

Two Leaves and a Bud blogged a list of things “tea people” like and asked for responses.

To see the list go here.

Here’s my response.

1 I used to watch DA because I am an Anglophile. Then I realized I was watching a soap opera. No thanks.

2 I live in AZ. We don’t get much rain. So when we do get rain we LOVE it. I am no exception. I have always loved the rain though. I’ve even written a poem about it. (See #25)

3 Though I wouldn’t call myself a bird watcher I watch birds out my window make their nests in the saguaro in my neighbors yard. The neighbor dislikes the state bird (Cactus Wren) as it makes holes in the cactus. For a while the only bird I saw on the cactus was a plastic owl complete with swiveling head!

4 Tea cozies! Yes! Handmade tea cozies by my favorite seamstress? Yes! Yes! Yes!

5 I would take tea drinking selfies with my camera but it’s really hard to do that while drinking.

6 Anything free is good, especially tea!

7 Stationary? Yes. Fountain pens. I don’t know. I don’t think I’ve ever used one.

8 I don’t have any particular affinity for electric tea kettles.

9 Compost.

10 Organic honey is not necessary though it couldn’t hurt.

11 Right, no tan.

12 Used books! I have at least 10 stacked up and waiting for my summer reading program.

13 Cardigans rock! Did I just say that?!

14 Bow ties? Only the red one on Christopher Kimball of America’s Test Kitchen. Otherwise no.

15 Love indie films.

16 Pinterest? Yep.

17 Greeeeeennnnn tttteeeeeee…..aaaaahhhhhhhhh

18 Yoga. Yes.

19 Farmers Markets. Yes.

20 Ballet Flats? Um, do Toms or flip flops count?

21 NPR. Yes, sometimes. BBC? Ya, baby yah!!

22 Book Clubs are great!

23 Knitting is cool. But I’m not a knitter.

24 Tea houses, rooms, closets, cathedrals? There is no place where tea is not completely at home…except perhaps the loo…

25 See # 2

26 Not a big fan of sarcasm since it can be rather hurtful. However, I have been known to let one loose from time to time.

27 I have one mug that was made in Italy and more mugs on the way from Poland. I have been given mugs and cups as gifts. Each of them is very special as they remind me of people I love. I secretly hope that when my grandmother passes away I’ll get her cup collection. Is that wrong?

28 Light fixtures make or break a space in my humble opinion. Light has a way of creating a mood. We must handle it carefully.

29 Never heard of Chacos but they look amazing.

30 Since my husband is a coffee drinker I feel compelled to share with him the health benefits of tea…constantly.

31 I haven’t ever had a cocktail made with tea to my knowledge…buy I would LOVE to try one. Maybe I’ll check on Pinterest for some recipes.

32 Cuke sammies are wonderful. SCONES are to DIE for!!!

33 “Vintage” clothing is hip. If I had the time to shop for them I likely would. However, thrift shops are a necessity. I wear cheap clothes so I can buy MORE TEA!

34 YES, YES, YES AND MANY MORE YESSES!!!! “Make it so, number one.”

35 Loose is my fave. I feel fancy when I drink it.

36 Instagram. Yes.

37 Not fancy socks. Nope.

38 Hostess gifts are nice but I rarely give them.

39 Blogging…duh…

40 Plush chairs are great in the winter months. But here in the summer they feel like quick sand. Get me outta here!

41 Tom’s of Maine? Nope.

42 I have 2 Mastiffs so, no I won’t be photographing pets in teacups…and frankly, I don’t like small animals.

43 Never been to Portland or Seattle but I have a friend from there and I like her.

44 I’m still learning to bake bread.

45 Do what?

46 Real Simple? No. Buon Appetit.

47 I feel funny when people are super proper. I like a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere to take my tea in. Thank you very much

48 I’m not a frequent Etsier. However, I want that Lionel Ritchie mug.

49 Designated cabinets. Two. Yes.

50 I prefer to read my books.

51 I have a desire for gardening and am currently prepping the soil for a fall garden. We’ll see how it goes though, because I don’t have a green thumb.

52 I make tea the old-fashioned way.

53 James Franco is NOT appealing to me. Ick.

54 Love oolong…don’t care that it has a funny name. I couldn’t pronounce Yerba Matte for a long time.

55 Any chocolate. Yes.

56 Fancy tea cups. Yes. Ironic. No. Repulsed by the ones in the photo you shared.

57 Scones, not cupcakes. Tarts, not cupcakes. Cookies, not cupcakes.

58 I will raise my voice a bit IF I think no one’s listening. Sometimes my tea table gets crowded and I feel compelled to interject…because well, you know, my opinion is important, right? Are you there?…

And that my friends concludes this post about stuff I like…relating to tea.

Thank you.

And Goodnight.

• L. Juliano

May 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

You go, girl. From one Laurie to another : ))
      What do I like? Getting up early,
      Sleeping in
      Not making much sense
      Don’t care what others think about me (point nonplus)
      Learning new words, phrases, languages

• Terri Cole

May 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Things this tea person likes: Kombucha, international markets, insulated mugs!

• Sarah K

May 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Aprons, art museums, goat cheese, monograms, aromatherapy, cobblestones, BBC, a designated reading chair, beeswax candles, scarves, and potted herbs.

• Erin Tuzuner

May 24, 2013 at 9:00 am

Lemon curd, crumpets, fig jam, croissants. Any fancy breadish thing with a fancy fruitish thing, complementing the tea and creating a veddy English effect.

• Diane

May 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

My additions: monogrammed tea mugs, tea from non-mainstream brands, ebooks to devour along with a nice cuppa. :)

• Katelynn Robinson

May 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

Reading is conspicuously missing (I prefer the classics or a cozy British mystery, especially on a rainy day). Also, being smug about the ways tea is good for you while everyone else’s caffeine addiction is unhealthy.

• Denise Villarreal

May 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

Great list, I would have to say my favorite would be a cup of alpine berry with blueberry scones fresh out of the oven and a good book on a cold rainy day.

• Nancy Janda

May 24, 2013 at 11:46 am

As one of the many tea people in this world, I would like to add to the list:
    i) Any tea I haven’t tried yet. Whether it’s an exotically-flavoured tea or a single-estate FPFGTLMNOP, I adore meeting new teas!
    ii) Fresh leaf, fresh water, and a lovely new tea cup. ‘Nuff said. <3
    iii) Finding good tea where I don't expect it. It's like a bonus smile!
    iv) Kitty-cat-shaped teapots. Two things that make me feel warm inside, represented in one functional work of art.
    v) Silly puns (see # i above), shaggy dog jokes and lowercase Roman numerals. Because the world should never be exactly what we expect it to be.
    What fun it was write these down! I feel happier than ever. :) Thank you.

• Catherine

May 24, 2013 at 11:48 am

Volunteering at art galleries, heritage gardens and small palaces

• Jas Faulkner

May 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Chet Baker or a Japanese bootleg of Muddy Waters is making the lights on the Reagan-era equalizer dance like a mad thing. Outside it’s raining. In the living room Christopher Moore is hugging a bookmark and in the kitchen an oolong blend is being poured. Bliss in five…four..three…two…

• Jean F

May 24, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Any beautiful cup and teapot, good book, fantastic view…..sometimes the smell perks the soul up.

• Corinne T

May 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Dining at an Asian restaurant because you know tea will be served!

• langiean

May 25, 2013 at 12:18 am

tea-flavored ice cream (matcha, chai, earl grey, rooibos, etc.)

• @ShariAlligood

June 5, 2013 at 9:50 am

Tea people like making lists! #StuffTeaPeopleLike

• Marianne

June 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Three hours, pot of tea leaves and my ereader, heaven.

• Martha

June 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm

> 47. Being asked, “How do you take your tea?”<

Only if they have a British or Irish accent.

• Martha

June 27, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I can’t believe “Cats” didn’t make the list!